how to cut down on an enormous chunk of illegal downloading, and this is so absurdly simple that it boggles the mind:
- make your show / movie / whatever accessible online.
- put ads on it so you can make money off of it, or sell a subscription to a competitive streaming service like netflix.
- make it available
- everywhere, meaning the country of origin and everywhere else
- as soon as it airs (tv shows) / becomes legally available to purchase (films &cet). not a week and a half later, not three days later, not the next morning. as soon as. people who are savvy about internet downloading and things are generally going to be the sort of people who hang out online and want to talk about their favorite shows as soon as they happen with their friends who are in that timezone/country. you’ll cut down on a shitton of downloading if you just make things available legally faster.
- square yourselves with the idea that in this age of high definition and internet streaming that seeing a film in a cinema is a premium service and should not be relied upon as a primary method of distribution.